What if I am sued?

Immediately contact your insurance company. Send them the lawsuit papers by certified mail and by regular mail. Your insurance company will assign a lawyer to your claim and will pay for your defense. If the other person sues you for an amount greater than your insurance limits, you may want to retain a lawyer for yourself in addition to the insurance company's lawyer. If you are charged with a crime such as DUI, running a stop sign, reckless driving, you will need to hire a criminal defense lawyer. If you cannot afford to hire a criminal defense attorney, call the county public defender's office and request that one be provided to you.